Monday, July 26, 2010

Stuffed Red, Yellow and Orange Bells with Oven Roasted Corn on the Cob


Look out! HumbleVegan is back in the kitchen!

Not until I was out on my own, fending for myself, did I discover these brilliantly colored “jewels.” Growing up at home, we had stuffed green bells. I always ate what was inside ... and never the bell. It was bland, tasteless and limp. I still don’t like green bells... and that’s good because they really have very little nutritional value compared to the reds, yellows and oranges. These beautiful colors are full of vitamins, sweetness and flavors that far exceed their green, blah, counter parts.

Ok, I was having a craving for stuffed bells. Before becoming Vegan, they were always stuffed with some sort of animal protein and rice...... Looking back.. that was kinda “blah,” too. So, I thought... now that I don’t eat animal protein and not much of a rice eater... “what....could I stuff them with?” Well, I realized the possibilities were endless.

There are so many variations to stuffed bells from quinoa, fresh garlic, pine nuts and broccoli to your favorite Chinese or Asian or Mexican rice recipe. How bout red beans and broken up cornbread? Or sautéed ‘shrooms, onions and cubed potatoes? Macaroni and cheese and steamed spinach for you non-vegans. Make use of all the wonderful fresh spices and herbs, as well as the flavored olive oils. Just dream it up and go for it!

You know I found that a lot of folks boil their bells first, before roasting them in the oven.... never understood why. This only boils out all the nutrients and leaves them colorless and limp. Just stuff ‘em , put them in casserole dishes and into the oven. So SIMPLE! Who wants another pot to wash? Not me!

Just look how bright and colorful these are after coming outta the oven!

Today I stuffed 2 different kinds.... one for hubby Bear and one for me. Serving these up with some oven roasted corn on the cob bathed in garlic and roasted red pepper olive oils... and that’s what’s on our dinner plates tonight!





As ALWAYS..... I DO organic whenever possible.

Here is what you’ll need:

Hubby Bears Stuffed Bell
*about 1 cup of colored shell pasta... cooked (he loves the colored pasta... LOL.. he can be such a little kid!)
*a small can of Bush’s Vegetarian Baked Beans (he LOVES these and they are the only ones on the market that don’t contain HFCS, transfats or Soy!)
*a couple of bells: cut the tops off and core out the middle

Mix the beans and pasta together and stuff each pepper as full as possible. Place the bells in individual casserole dishes or in one dish. Be sure they don’t fall over while roasting. You can add the rest of the mixture in the casserole dish beside the bell.

Place them in a preheated oven at 375 for about 15 minutes. Don’t worry if the pasta shells on top get a little crispy and brown. It adds a nice flavor and texture to the dish. For you non-vegans out there... now is the time to toss on some of your favorite shredded cheese.

Top with chopped tomato (and egg if you like)




My Stuffed Bell is FULL of flavors and spices... because that’s the way I like my food.
*one small to medium red onion, sliced slightly thin sautéed in a couple of tablespoons of roasted red pepper olive oil with TONS of fresh garlic
*about ¾ cup of your favorite bean, I used EDENS Organic Adzuki beans, but black beans or any other are DEE-lish for sure! Add these to the skillet of onions
*corn cut off a couple of fresh ears added to the skillet
*a couple of bells: cut the tops off and core out the middle

When the skillet mixture is hot and simmering.... remove from heat and add a few sprinkles of the HOT Pepper Sesame oil and mix. Place the bells in individual casserole dishes or in one dish. Be sure they don’t fall over while roasting. Again, you can add the remaining mixture around the pepper in the dish if you like.





Place them in a preheated oven at 375 for about 15 minutes. Mine is topped with chopped cado. But, again, if you are non-vegan.... “cheese it up!”


Oven Roasted Corn
This is one of my all time faves..... and so easy to make. Here ya go:

*as many ears as you want... cleaned and stripped of husk and silk.
*garlic and or roasted red pepper olive oils
*ground pepper

I don’t wrap mine in foil or roast them in their husks. I really love the light brown crust that forms on the corn when roasting “naked” in the oven. Plus, it will roast quicker.

Making sure the ears are nice and dry, brush on the oil of your choice covering the whole ear. Then sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Place on cooking grate. I place my grate inside a cookie sheet to catch the oil that drips off the ear.

Place in preheated oven at 450 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes and it is done!!!

This meal would be fabulous if you added some fresh steamed spinach.... but for tonight.. I am hungry, in a hurry and don’t want to deal with the spinach.

Hope you enjoy these DEEEEEE-lish bells... full of color... full of life.... full of sweetness and full of nutrients!

Until Next Time......

GOOD HEALTH TO ALL!!




No comments:

Post a Comment